In fox walking, the energetic contact with the earth as the energy flows through the legs, into the feet, and into the earth gives one a feeling of being “grounded” or having your feet on the ground or “having a clear head.” Literally in fox walking as the energy moves downward, the earth draws the energy out of the body. This same energy going in reverse can go into excessive thinking, anxiety, or as Freud would say “neurosis.” (Being out of the movement) It is interesting that it seems the further out of the movement we are the more neurotic and less happy we are.
What is fox walking? Writer By Nature
It’s placing your foot on the ground BEFORE you put your weight on it, so that your center of gravity is in your hips. It forces you to take shorter strides. In slow-motion you would:
- Touch the outside edge of your foot to the ground.
- Roll your foot inward until it is flat on the ground.
- Before adding your weight, is there a sharp stone, a rounded branch or any other object that would make a noise or irritate your foot?
- If so, reposition your foot.
- Transfer your weight to your foot.
- Repeat with your other foot.